Learn to Fly: “My Malaysia” Photo Series (4)

Don't believe what your eyes are telling you. All they show is limitation. Look with your understanding. Find out what you already know and you will see the way to fly.” (Richard Bach, “Jonathan Livingston Seagull”)

 

Chew JettyGeorge Town. Penang, 22 May 2019


Malaysia has given me a gift: a new lens. The publishing house of the University that I worked for bought the 10mm lens for me, to create the photographic book: a wide-angle lens.

In many years in Indonesia I have seen beautiful landscapes, as well as in Italy, as I have shown you (here and here), but I have always had a strong interest in people. Therefore, even when I photographed landscapes, it was an essential requirement that there was at least one person.

Humans are more important than places. It has always been this way. But things change, people change. Me too. Above all, it changes the way we see. For two reasons.

The first is related to the lenses that are used; for this reason, in basic photography courses, we always say to wait to buy lenses, because each photographic style has its specific. Therefore, it's important to know first what we like and then buy the lens.

The second reason arises from us, from what we have inside and what we feel.

Tasik Cermin (Mirror Lake)Ipoh. Perak, 24 February 2019

Perak RiverKarai. Perak,  15 August 2019


Malaysia has been a wonderful experience for me and I miss it every day. But it has not always been flowers and roses: there have been very difficult moments, of strong tension and stress. And, there have been few times that I thought of giving up, of going away.

But I'm not a guy who gives up easily. Also, even though I was surrounded by people who loved me, I was alone with all the tension that pressed to explode inside me. That's when I started to feel a pleasure that I had never felt before: that of flying.

I was looking for the most beautiful landscapes: extended, without borders, difficult to understand for those who live in cities suffocated by buildings. The beaches, the waves, di bibir laut, as it's said in a very poetic way in the Malaysian language, that is, at the lips of the sea.

Kampung Salam Rakit, Ulu Tiram. Johor, 26 May 2019

Masjid TerapungTanjung Bunga. Penang,  31 August 2019

Kampung Kuala PahangPekan, Kuantan. Pahang, 22 September 2018
 

But, above all the skies. As in the classic interpretation of dreams, flying means abandoning every problem on the ground, like a ballast, to get lost in the sky.

So it was with me; when I was in front of these masterpieces of nature, it was enough for me to change the lens of the camera, with a gesture that acquired an almost magical dimension, mount the 10mm, press the eye in the viewfinder (a gesture of which one cannot underline enough importance when comparing photography with the camera and smartphone) and point to the sky. And then open the lens to the maximum, trying to let the sky enter its borders.

As if, in extreme childish illusion, the body could pass through the lens and be catapulted into the sky, getting lost in the clouds; and if this were not possible, at least all the tensions, fears, anger and sadness could transform into birds flying towards those clouds.

Kurau RiverKuala Kurau. Perak, 8 June 2019

Kurau RiverKuala Kurau. Perak, 8 June 2019


I know it may seem silly and childish, because in the end these are just beautiful landscapes, postcards of a wonderful Malaysia. But they were also something more to me. They were the escape.

Penang,  15 August 2019

Penang,   1 September 2019

Gelugor. Penang,   19 October 2019

Gelugor. Penang,   19 October 2019


For the first time I just wanted that: no person. Not even one. Because when    precisely   it    is   people  that hurt us and make us suffer, then it's better to abandon oneself to the beauty of nature that heals everything. And fly, like Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

Teluk Bahang. Penang,  2 May 2019

Batu Ferringhi Beach. Penang,   31 August 2019

Kampung Guar Perahu. Penang,   19 January 2019

Sungai MerbokSungai Petani. Kedah, 2 May 2019
 

Gunung Inas, Puncak Tinjau. Pengkalan Hulu. Perak, 1 December 2018

Kedah, 20 October 2019


Pantai Pulau Sayak. Kedah, 20 October 2019


Pantai Teluk Bayu. Teluk Kumbar. Penang, 12 October 2019




Recommended song: Siti Nurhaliza & Mohram “Sakti”

Italian version

Comments

  1. Beautiful! Beautiful! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Either you take a portrait or landscape, the result is always amazing.
    And each photo is also represent their own stories behind that.

    I can felt the deep emotion in this article.
    It blends well between words and all the photos.

    Stay Strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bukan sahaja ada 'di bibir laut' kerana ada juga 'di bibir langit' I hope you faham 😎

    ReplyDelete
  4. "... this kind of flying has always been here to be learned by anybody who wanted to discover it; ..." - Fletcher (Richard Bach, 1970).

    Really miss the moment 'di bibir laut', fly, ithaka... and so on. However...

    "You can go to any place and to any time that you wish to go...gone everywhere and everywhen I can think of..." - Chiang (Richard Bach, 1970)

    Remember, keep strong... sampai bila-bila.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. My Malaysia. A gift from God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Membaca dan melihat foto- foto ini seakan sy ikut terbang menikmati indahnya milik Tuhan yang ada di langit dan di buni ...

    Gratitude is the healthiest of all human emotions. The more you express gratitude for what you have, the more likely you will have even more to express gratitude for.”
    Thaks stef...Congragulation...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Extremely tremendously great...really a bundle of photos that make mouth and eyes open wide yet heart melting away...
    Nature is the art of God's love...and you photographed them with endless love...
    Thanks a lot for sharing the beauty of my beloved Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Malaysiaku yang indah... Pasti menyebabkan semua yang pernah ke Malaysia merindui suasana aman dan damai. Bukan begitu Stef?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tahniah stef. Menarik sekali

    ReplyDelete
  10. From North to South, East to West - you've travelled all and see the horizons. I was meditating to the sound of waves last night - would be nice to picture this is my mind though I was recalling the beautiful moments at Cherating beach last year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment