Between Fashion and Dreams – Krishna's story

Krishna. Villa Torlonia. Rome, April 16, 2021

Sometimes you meet people by chance who turn out to be really interesting.

This is the case of Chintamaneni Sahithi Krishna, a girl I know on Instagram. I saw her photos, as usual, and she seemed like a different girl than an ordinary, so the idea of taking some photos together were born: an opportunity to get to know her and learn more about her story.

 

We went to Villa Torlonia, one of the places I love most to take portraits and we started talking.

I was struck by Krishna right away, her aggressive style, a good balance of tradition in saris and sneakers.

It seemed like a different way of telling about India.

 

She was born 22 years ago in Hyderabad, the capital of the state of Telangana, in southern India, a place I had never heard of before: Andhra Pradesh. A city that, with its over 10 million inhabitants, is the fourth most populous city in India.

She arrived in Rome a year ago for a Masters in Fashion at La Sapienza University, with a thesis on second-hand clothes.



After taking some portraits, we sat on the grass to talk.

I am eager and curious to know new things and India is so vast that it is already a pleasure to hear the stories of those who come there.

Beyond the aggressive and punk appearance we played on in the photographs, Krishna also has a sweet and fun side.

She is passionate about fashion, and after her university in her city, she decided to come and do her Masters in Rome, on the advice of some of her friends; also, because Rome with her famous vintage market is a treasure trove of riches for her who is passionate about second-hand clothes to be transformed to her taste.

Krishna first told me about the city because I don't know anything about that area. She told me that it is a very beautiful state, with a strong Muslim predominance, even if she is – as the name suggests – Hindu.

That, like most Indians, she does not like Bollywood cinema: I understand that it is something that is most passionate about outside India, she is not the first Indian person to tell me this.

“The stories aren't realistic, but when do dozens of people ever dance in the street!” She said laughing, and anyway, every state has its own film industry, and that Telugu is much better than Bollywood, she said to me, “Tollywood, it's called, from Telugu, but the best is Mollywood, that of Kerala (Malayalam).”

Traditional music is also different, it's called Carnatic.






Then the discussion went on the private topic, on her story.

And, of course, when it comes to Hinduism and India, I couldn't ask her about castes, especially because she seems to be a very strong type and that she likes to think for herself.

Krishna had no problem talking about it.

She told me that her family belongs to the third class, shudra (the fourth class) and according to law she will have to marry a man of the same caste. In fact, she also did not know that the caste system has already been abolished in India for many years. Simply because it is still ordinary and affects everyone's life.

For this reason, she came to study in Italy. Her mother said that she gave her two years to be successful – her dream is to find a job in fashion in Italy and open her own brand. If at the end of this time Krishna succeeds in her objective, the mother will leave her free to choose her life and her future, even on a love side, but if she fails and has a simple job then she will have to return to India and marry the man who the mother will choose for her.

At first these words saddened me. But then, speaking better of her mother, I realized that in her heart, her mother, she would like her not to come back and that she was free to choose.

“She taught me to be determined and free,” Krishna told me with proud eyes.

“What does your father say?” I asked her. “He follows what my mother says!” And we burst out laughing.

 

Sounds like an interesting story to share with you.

Beyond the photographs. Even if the images tell a lot; just look at how different and more comfortable she is in western clothing than in saris. Moreover, the black blazer was painted by her with traditional motifs, which are usually painted ritually on the street in front of the house, and can be considered her first creation.

 

What emerges in filigree is a story of dreams; and I love dreamers like me.

I wish Krishna that she can realize her future and write the pages of her life, beyond castes and arranged marriages.

And what makes me most tender is knowing that, hidden under the guise of constraint and severity, this is the same intimate desire of the mother.

 

Good luck Krishna.

 



Carnatic beautiful music:


Italian version

Comments

  1. This is a treasure you were able to dig. You are a certified treasure hunter. Her story is full of dreams and determination. She is what we call a woman of substance. May she reach her goals and be successful. Best reward later... FREEDOM. Goodluck to her and salute to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting story. Good luck Krishna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's one of a kind n she's got personality. I'll believe she will succeed. U go girl!

    Also love the way u link her story with dreams... Which can relate to all of us.

    I'll believe everyone have a dream n everyone is a dreamer...

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the best krishnaπŸ€— I wish you achieve all your dreams❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. you go girl!
    I love you!
    My only sister :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankyou all for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go girl...
    Be somebody...that nobody taught you would be.
    To meow or to roar...the choice is yours.
    Do the best and beat the rest.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment