Goodbye 2020

“No act of kindness, no matter how small, 
 is ever wasted.”
(Aesop)


Stefano Romano, ROME – August, 2020
ROME – August, 2020

It's a good habit to greet those who are leaving.

Even if going it away does not certainly leave good memories behind.

I wouldn't even want to mention this pandemic, we are all tired of it.

Even the pains after a while are boring.

Then, at least for my part, I tried to truly experience it in the most detached way possible.

Certainly not through unconsciousness, but because I know very well how to think hard about the disease then leads to sickness.

Our body and mind are a magnet: they attract what they pierce.

I may not be a Zen monk, but there is so much to learn from their ability to let the disturbing thought flow away.

A little healthy fatalism, an atavistic repulsion for hospitals and doctors, and here I have spent this year more controlling the demons of my mind than the germs in the air.


Then, after all, I have always been very good at mentally shifting the focus of my worries from one level to another.

It is true that it was a pain to give up traveling, taking photographs, meeting friends, giving lessons, gaining weight at home in the boredom of days all the same; but I was still very angry at having to say goodbye forever to the dream of Malaysia.

Like a chasm that suddenly opens up in front of the running feet: Malaysia, two years, and Bangladesh, one month, and then... Nothingness.

Not even the time to breathe, absorb tears and joys.


Writing saved me, that must be said.

Without a doubt, writing for this blog, for you, was my lifesaver in the storm.

I thought I had by now repudiated writing. Instead, here I am, to thank each of you, who are waiting for the new article every day. The new photo.


As with photography, writing doesn't make sense to me without someone reading. I've never written for myself alone. Just as I prefer not to photograph if I know that then I cannot share what I see.


One of the moments that my mother always tells me is the episode of when I was ten years old and I was having an operation on my heart for the second time: she tells me that every afternoon I gathered all the children in the room, a dozen each in her bedroom divided into glass windows, in mine, on my cot, and I don't know what I was saying but I made them laugh so much that – sometimes it happened – some of them peed in their pajamas.

My mother must have told me about thirty times.


It's hard to interpret yourself after so many years, but I'm glad to believe it was a way of making our pain more tolerant. It's not that being a child makes the pain and sadness less strong.

And laughing until you feel can't resist I think is like medicine.

But above all sharing. Compassion.

All those words that originate from the particle com (with), com-passion, “bear together”, are among the most beautiful words.

So is any form of art or expression for me. It's meant to be shared.

What I see, feel, write, is for you.


And this is how I want to greet this year defined by many as cursed.

Without trying to mention the deaths, the suffering, the disease.

But like the year in which most was shared and “com-pitied”.

Thanks to you, my confidence in the word has come back.

I still think it's easily deceptive, flattering, fallacious, limited, but it all depends on the intention – as in everything.

And the word, like the image, are deeply linked to the human being.

Therefore, let this difficult year let go, without holding a grudge.

Ultimately, trusting our words means learning to trust humans.


There is no better wish for the new year to come.


Thanks again...


ROME – April, 2009



Comments

  1. Yap, let this difficult year go without holding a grudge.

    Keep writing coz me n others for sure will keep reading ur articles.

    Thanks to youπŸ’

    ReplyDelete
  2. I smile and nodded read this post. Because all is true.

    Even you are crying, you are still can make someone else laugh and happy.

    Thanks to you because always share a great photos and a thousand beautiful words that inspired people that read this blog.

    Thanks a lot. 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really thanks and wish a better 2020 😊😊

      Delete
    2. And better 2021. Wish you a great year for 2021. Insha Allah. Amin.

      Delete
    3. Ya, better 2021 sorry πŸ™πŸ™

      Delete
  3. What can I say? This is not taken from any other writer but your own context, feelings and understanding. But there it is, the essence that you are able to transpire and all are relatable. Wishing you and all of us the very best, come what may. Hope is the last one to die. God bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maraming salamat and wish best for you also πŸ™πŸ™

      Delete
  4. Keep on writing. Beat the storm and hope for a better tomorrow.
    Lets the past helps us move forward. Never stop dreaming and dream big.😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forget all tears and really hope for a better
    2021 ahead. Insya-Allah

    ReplyDelete

  6. Always there and always something to be thankful for.
    Thank you for enlightening the world with your writing and photos.
    May more and more sweet light shine inside and outside of you.

    Deeply thanks...thank you so very much😊😊😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deeply thanks to read and support πŸ™☺️

      Delete
  7. Let's pray for a better 2021 ahead. Insya-Allah 😊😁

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment