A Parallel World: Opera China

“Everything you can imagine is real.” (Pablo Picasso) 

Sungai Dua, Penang. Malaysia, 29 August 2019

The Chinese Opera is visually interesting, thanks to the sumptuous traditional clothes and the transformation of the actors. This is what happens on the stage, during the last day of the Hungry Ghost Taoist festival, to entertain the audience while waiting for the big fire. Then the curtain came down to intersperse the acts and I went to see behind, and with great pleasure I accepted the invitation of the theater company to enter the backstage.

Small and crowded, but like entering a parallel, magical world; I don't even know the name of the company because none of them spoke English or Malay, only smiles and nods. I started taking pictures, breathing, looking and slowly disappearing, until after an hour they no longer noticed that I was there.


I also left without anyone saying goodbye to me, really like a shadow, but I brought home some photos that I think are very beautiful, andthis timeit's difficult to put into words what I felt.

The term that comes to mind first of all is the circus: the same feeling of life in a group, constantly moving, a life dedicated to art with poor means, beautiful clothes but used a thousand times, passion and routine.


Cigarette butts on the wooden floor, dirty mirrors to wear make-up, a small altar for prayers, undressing in front of others without any embarrasment because it has been done a thousand times and they are like a family, tired faces, more vain and bizarre temperaments, and colors... so many colors.

It's difficult to put into words. I hope that the photographs can best describe the feeling of truly living in a “parallel world”.








Dedicated to those who live for art, even in small theaters along the streets, painting dreams on dirty mirrors.

Italian version

Comments

  1. I love all the photos attached. Amazing. What a lovely, dramatic shot.

    Besides that, i love the story behind that. The article give me a good knowledge about The Chinese Opera. Before this, i never take serious about that.

    But the best is, the story behind the scene. I can see clearly in front of my eyes. And i felt like i'm travel with the author in the backstage.

    Great article.
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parallel world exist in order to keep the balance of the universe...mirroring and reflecting each other...meet the new you...fairy tales are more than true...because they tell us no lock can set upon the freedom of mind...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment