Stories from Bandung (1): Mutya

Overcoming the limits of disabilities.

I met Mutya at SLB-A YPKR, a small school for the poor and special children in Cicalengka. There are about sixty children with different handicaps here: mute, deaf, autistic, down, and even teachers for blind children are blind.

Mutya is a little girl who does not speak and also has a form of autism. I found her in the class, drawing, while all of her other classmates laughed and were excited for my presence. She was sitting squat and drawing, she never looked at me.

Then, I sat next to her and started to draw. She, as fast as a snake, chose the right colors to color what I was drawing; then I started to draw the contours of things and animals with wrong colors, and she immediately chose the right color to color the inside. That's her form of communication. And, in the end, she also gave me a tiny smile that moved me.

SLB is "Sekolah Luar Biasa". I learned that in Indonesian the term "luar biasa" means extra-ordinary, and I have always used it as an outstanding compliment. Finding that these children are "luar biasa" gives a new meaning to these words. Mutya found her way to overcome the limits of her disabilities.



Mutya, at SLB Cicalengka,18 October 2017 


Comments

  1. The only true of disability is the inability to accept and respect differences...they were born to stand out @nitaRAF

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment