People and Places


It's difficult for me to separate myself from places. Wherever I go I take them with me. Places are like people. Once you love them they can never be forgotten.

How Indonesia was for me to which I dedicated two books, thousands of photographs and lots of love. So it was also for Malaysia, with another book and a year and a half of my life there.

However, just like people, when they are far away the love that previously warmed up becomes a cold inside that makes the veins crack. The photographs taken at the time were a joy for the eyes, but to see them now, at a distance of time and miles, they hurt.

Yet, this is life. We know each other and then we go away. We cross each other, we walk on our inner ways and then we look at them again deserted. Nothing lasts forever.

We must be able to look forward, perhaps to seek new lands.

You have to try to be strong, but I'm not always able to do it.

The photographs that please your eyes are painful to my heart, but this is... I have chosen to take pictures and I will not stop until my last breath, waiting to know what I will see tomorrow.

"Life is what we make of it. The trips are travelers. What we see is not what we see, but what we are" (FERNANDO PESSOA)

Rome, 22 January 2020
Stefano Romano

Desa Sidamukti, Kab. Majalengka. 22 November 2017 (c)Stefano Romano

Comments